I have a love/hate relationship with Monday nights. On the one hand, I love and look forward to Family Home Evening. I love putting everything else aside, getting off line, turning off the TV, ignoring the phone, and just concentrating on our family for a little while. I love the sweet lessons teaching gospel principles or scripture stories the kids come up with. I love the crazy activities they want to do. I love the yummy treats that are always involved.
But on the other hand, on normal nights my kids are in bed by 7 PM. I am not capable of being a nice parent any longer than that. Starting at about 6:45, they are pajamaed, scriptured, tooth-brushed, sung to, and by 7, they are in bed with the lights off. Even if they aren't asleep, they know that it's time to leave mom alone. But FHE throws a giant monkey wrench into all of that. Between homework and dinner, we don't start FHE until 6:30 (on a good night). And then it's an internal battle - do I rush them along, so they can be in bed by at least 7:30? Do I relax and let them stay up until 8 (or later), knowing that at least one of them will have a melt-down and I'll lose my temper and the happy family-bonding-mood will be destroyed?
What's a mother to do? How do you make it work? What's most important?
And most importantly, where is the chocolate? It's late and they are finally in bed and I need some post-FHE therapy...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I think that it is not about what day of the week it is or what time of the day it is. If it works better for your family to have FHE on Saturday morning or Sunday morning, than that is what you should do. If it is too stressful and always ends in yelling, then it seems to defeat the purpose!! Happy Monday!!
ReplyDelete