Monday, April 11, 2011

April Resolutions

Wow! This month is sliding right past me! It's already the 11th, and I am just getting around to setting new goals!

Last month I did pretty good. My goals were to keep up with the scripture reading challenge and to make healthier choices when it comes to treats and snacks.

I struggled the most with the scripture reading goal. I was trying to read every morning between the time Travis left for work and Megan got up, but I simply couldn't do it. With this pregnancy, I can barely function that early in the morning. Every time I tried to read (even when I had gone to bed extra early the night before), I fell asleep on the couch, and then had to rush to get Megan up and moving. Those early morning minutes just aren't going to work in my current state. Normally, I think that is the best time for quiet study and reflection, but not right now. But, even though I didn't do so well, I'm not kicking myself this month. That is the point of setting monthly goals - I'll just try something new this month and not beat myself up over last month. And, there is a time and a season for everything, right? During this season, I'll do much better a little later in the day when my eyelids can stay open.

For my treats and snacks goal, I did a whole lot better. Mostly, I just made sure that we had a LOT of fresh fruits and veggies available. Jared was especially happy to pick a banana over goldfish crackers, or an orange or carrot sticks over a handful of M&Ms. I didn't try to limit what I was eating (I still kept up with my ice cream, lol), but just by having better choices readily available I lost a pound in 3 weeks. Now, I PROMISE that I am not dieting in any way. At this point, I don't really want to be losing weight, but my doctor was fine with it since the baby is still growing well (and since I have plenty of extra padding for the baby to draw on, lol). So, all in all, I think that having healthier snacks has been a success. We've also been working hard to include more fresh produce and more whole grains in our meals and I think that has helped make a difference as well. I noticed that on the past several weekly shopping lists, the produce section has been about 3 times longer than any other section. That makes me feel like we are making progress.

Okay - goals for this month. My biggest goal is to just keep a positive attitude. I'm getting to the end, where deep sleep is rare, sitting is uncomfortable, and even putting on my shoes is difficult. And I have been unbearably grumpy a lot of the time. I can barely stand myself a lot of the time, I'm surprised that my friends are still talking to me. :D So, this month my goal is to be happy. And cheerful. Or at least to do a better job pretending. It's got to be endured, so I might as well do so as gracefully as possible.

Everything else is sort of on hold - some days I have tons of energy and can get a lot done, and some days just getting dressed is an accomplishment. And that's okay. Just please don't judge me on my dirty kitchen floor and clutter-filled table!

No comments:

Post a Comment