I've been hearing a lot about the wonderful deals you can get by couponing. Free items, stocking up on essentials, all sorts of great things. But just thinking about starting is overwhelming. I am already struggling with clutter - especially paper clutter. It piles up, it grows, it takes on a life of it's own. Like the plant in "Little Shop of Horrors" I feel like it wants to consume me. Just the thought of adding to that mess makes me want to cry.
I argue back and forth with my self. "Saving money is so tempting! Really, who doesn't want to save on their food and household bills?" "But is maybe saving a little money worth driving myself crazy (or more crazy, depending on the day)?" My internal arguments go back and forth.
I was excited to read this article by Carrie at denverbargains.com. She calls it "Basic Couponing" but really, it's a lot of practical advice to help you avoid the pitfalls and reap some of the rewards without going crazy. Most of it doesn't even have anything to do with coupons. It's just good, practical, common sense. And I am totally getting on board.
The first step is to make a price list. This is huge! Why didn't I think of this before? I am constantly calling Travis, asking him if something is a good deal (numbers don't stick in my head very well), so having a list will help me tons. Today I'm going to go through a month of old shopping lists (they are written on the back of my weekly menus, which I save) and make a general list. Then, the next few times I go shopping, I'll fill it in with prices. I think just knowing at a glance if something is a good deal or not will be empowering.
Monday, April 11, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I've been planning on doing this for a while, but just haven't. I did find a website that already had it done (of course it's for her part of the country). I'll try to find it and share it with you.
ReplyDelete